Tuesday, April 27, 2010

5 weitere Wochen in Frankreich

Time has flown by.

As I was walking to my first class this morning, I looked to my right and saw the Swiss Alps looming in the horizon. The birds singing, the sun's glow hitting Geneva below me, and yellow and pink flowers peeking through the green grass. The Saleve hauntingly hid me from the sun's rays, and as I drew in a breath of crisp, spring air I realized that soon I would not have the mountains to greet me every morning. The farms and plains of the french and swiss countryside would no longer taunt me with their stories of long ago.

5 more weeks.

A few weeks ago Audrey invited me and a few others to the french countryside where her parents had another home. She is the descendent of a man who saw a "Signs of the Times" pamphlet, and heard that E.G White would be in Geneva speaking so he traveled almost a day to go see her and after the meeting, got baptized by her husband. When he returned to his small french village, he helped build the first SDA church there.
Audrey's grandfather was having his eighty-something birthday and after the typical french meal and cake, we sat around him at the table listening to him tell stories of how the Davy family came about, became Christians,and what they did in WWI and WWII. It was the one of the most beautiful things I got to experience while being here. I'll never forget it.

In Munich, I stayed with Caroline and her family who were so kind. Caroline's mother made a point to cook us all types of meals ranging from Russian to Czech food. Although we couldn't understand each other speaking, our gestures and smiles helped us a long. She made sure we were well taken care of and that we saw everything in the city, and even paid for our tickets to Austria!

Il y a cinq semaines qui reste.

The second week of my spring break was the Cote d'Azur tour in the south of France. Seeing the mediterranean sea was breathtaking. I felt like I was in the Count of Monte Cristo at times with the waves violently hitting the beige rocks glistening in the sun. Ancient chateau's from medieval times hanging off the side of cliffs, and villages hidden in thickets of trees, only their red roof tops gave them away.

A couple Friday's before we had a big bonfire in front of the Saleve. Some of us climbed to the top of one of the crag's while other's prepared the bonfire. The sun had painted the sky pink, blue and purple as it left us slowing behind the horizon. It was breathtaking, once again.

This past sabbath, some of the Ifle and I decided to lay out on a blanket in front of the Saleve and like they say in french, 'se profiter de le soleil'. It was grand.

5 weitere Wochen in Frankreich.

2 comments:

Miss Jehle said...

Ah, this makes me want to travel. Fiercely. I hope you are soaking up every last day!

Nicholas said...

you aim to make me jealous. and you succeed.

Post a Comment