Friday, September 11, 2009

Mt. Saleve and late night adventures

I have had a very interesting last two days.

It all started on Wednesday. A group of us ACA students decided it was a beautiful day and we were going to figure out how to get to the top of Saleve. A few girls had attended Collonges a few years back and were familiar with the trails that led up to the mountain so we decided to follow their lead. I just want to say however, that if I do not return to the states extremeley fit, something is terribly wrong. I seriously felt like I was going to hurl out all my insides at times (I know, kinda graphic but I had to go there) I never realized how out of shape I am! The guys in the group of course were in the lead and climbing at a fast pace, leaving the rest of us in the dust. I decided that this was a challenge that I would push myself through. Mind over matter right?! So I gathered myself mentally and fought through the searing pain in my body. I never looked down and kept my eyes periodically on the ground so as not to step on lose rock, which from time to time would shower me as the people above me steadily moved forward.

Some of the group lagged behind (the altitude was a little much for some) and so onward the faithful few of us trudged along taking breaks every now an then, inspecting the progress being made. My water bottle was emptying quickly and I savored my last drop halfway up the mountain. Caves and overhangs opened toward us daringly but we moved steadily along until we reached the famous, tiny wooden bridge that would take us higher into rock that if climbed would surely lead us to our deaths. I held my breath and walked softly and quickly, taking note of a few missing planks and praying the whole way up. Once the bridge ended, we were back to climbing huge rock/boulder type things. A thin wire nailed to the side of the rock guided us up and up and up until...we reached the very top of the mountain.

It was a sight to behold. I looked out and could see as far as Annency and Geneva. The rolling hills plain in sight and the campus beneath us looked very small. Cow bells rang in the distance and children, young and old were walking atop the mountain. Hand gliders swaying with the wind gently drifted from the mountain. We decided to keep walking and opened a gate that led us straight into a cow pasture. Beyond that, Mount Blanche in the distance taunting us with it's snow tipped peaks, seemed to glitter in the sunlight. I couldn't believe my eyes. Maybe this was one reason why dear E.G White put adventist schools in semi-secluded areas. She wanted us to be one with nature and to realize the potency of God's power. Standing up there, I felt so small and insignificant but oh so close to my Maker. That's the only way to describe it. It was awesome.

Getting off the mountain wasn't so smooth though. My patella popped out of place and I had to slowly tiptoe down the mountain which took AGES. Thankfully, Jared came prepared with an ace bandage so I wrapped my knee and told myself to suck it up and walk. It really felt like we were never going to get down the mountain. The others were far ahead of us, so far in fact that they were able to make it to supper. We didn't.

As soon as we got off the mountain, I hurriedly wobbled over to the church where I had orchestra practice with a growling stomach and feeble body but still had a great time. I will forever remember my moment with God on the top of that mountain. I could see myself climbing it again, but not for a very long time...

I know this has been a long blog- but I promised I would write about all the interesting things that happen to me on this journey so here goes:

Last night,Thursday, a group of us went into town for some "real food" not that the cafe food is fake, we were just still hungry :-p We ended up at a really neat restaurant (I forget the name) but the owners and the waiter were really nice, even helping us with our french speaking skills from time to time. We had a great time, laughing and talking enjoying every minute of being in France.

After we finished we headed back. It was about midnight and it took us 15 min to reach the school. The boys went to their dorm and us girls continued our walk to La Clairiere, our home for the year. We swiped our cards over and over but they didn't work to open the door! It's not like Southern, where there is always a desk worker. The dean leaves and that's it. No one is in the office. So we walked all the way across campus to Les Horizons to see if maybe the guys' dean could let us in. No such luck. We saw one open window and light shining, so we decided that may be the boys' room. After calling them down (their cards worked fine of course) and realizing there was no way we would be able to get back inside of our dorm rooms, the boys kindly offered to bring down a sleeping bag, sweaters, blankets and even socks! and sleep outside with us. So that is what we did. We star gazed, my first time, and saw a shooting star. We laughed, and joked. After finally drifting to sleep, sometime later someone's alarm went off but we drifted back to sleep until... we heard a noise in the grass that kept getting louder and louder! My heart was beating so fast, I was imagining ferocious teeth tearing me apart, so I sank deeper into the blankets. One of the boys got up to see what or whom the sound was coming from and it turned out to be...a wild boar! It was huge, and beastly! (no pun intended) So we decided to get up and move. Thankfully everyone made it safely back to their dorm rooms and no one was hurt or wounded and for that I am grateful.

Until my next adventure,
Ciao!


4 comments:

kessia reyne said...

Wow! That is adventurous indeed! --mountains, patella, star gazing, wild boars... amazing. C'est la vie!

Ludine Pierre said...

Glad you like my story Kessia! Thanks for following my blog!

Ludine Pierre said...

Oh yeah... I could not find your friend, but I will keep looking for him

Harvey K said...

Ah....that's sounds so cool.....almost like it didn't happen....Ah..except it did. Ah. yay.

Post a Comment