Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Day in the Clouds

Mont Blanc and Tiramasu

Today has been, to date, the best experience of my life; yes it has!

The school took us on a trip to Chamonix to see Mont Blanc (for those of you who don't know it is the highest mountain in the Alps and Western Europe). It rises 15,781 ft!!.The scenic bus ride took about an hour and the sights were breathtaking. Lush, rolling green hills, houses and farms stretched out across the valley. Trees stacked one on top of the other like thick carpet, lined the bottom of the mountains. When we finally reached our destination we went up about 12,000 feet by cable car and let me tell you, the ride in the cable car itself was an experience.
I stepped into the red and silver contraption not really knowing what to expect. I have never ridden in one before, so I was expecting a very smooth ride. SO WRONG. haha. The car smoothly ascended upwards at first but the higher we got it would jolt and sway back and forth. Roller coaster lovers, (I am not one), of course were screaming with glee and then there were those like myself who were spitting out prayers like wildfire. I grabbed onto a pole, knuckles whiter than I've ever seen them. I thought to myself "I have got to make it off this thing alive, dropping from this thing would most definitely be a painful death". I quickly pushed the thought out of my mind and just focused on the final destination: to see one of the most famous mountains in the world.
Upon crashing into the cabin slot thing, yes crashing (with some exaggeration), because we definitely hit the wall first instead of gliding right into the spot allotted for the cable car. I gingerly stepped out of the still swinging car onto the platform. It was cold and the air was crisp. The mountain shone brightly and glistened like a crystal, so I put my shades on. The sun reflecting on the ice and snow made everything look so magical and I got so caught up in the moment... until I looked down at the not-so-sturdy wood beneath me and realized that if I slipped under the railing, I could fall to my death. To my left, mountaineers with their ice picks were climbing higher up the mountain. Snowboarders and skiers were taking their chance at tackling the monstrosity of a mountain. Paraponting is quite popular, I've noticed in these parts, and many individuals were jumping off the top of the mountain with nothing but a parachute. They looked like colorful birds drifting slowly in the sky. I haven't decided yet, but I just might have to try that activity before I leave Europe.
After eating our neatly packed lunch, courtesy of the cafeteria, a few of us were still hungry so we decided to eat at the restaurant inside the mountain adjacent to Mont Blanc. It was small and cozy and had a rustic feel to it. Medium sized windows permitted us a breathtaking view of the clouds surrounding us in the mountain. The waiter was nice and even corrected us when our french was a little off. I personally did not feel like paying 30 euros for a meal, so I opted for desert instead. A delicious tiramisu. I can still taste the creamy goodness of it all.
During the meal, I experienced a little bit of altitude sickness. My heart was racing and I was extremely short of breath and lightheaded. Nothing too serious, but it was slightly uncomfortable. I noticed that I felt better once I was outside in the fresh air. The whole experience; the turbulent cable car ride, the fear of heights/falling, and the altitude sickness was worth it.
I would recommend if given the chance, to go visit this majestic wonder. I was above the clouds and it was as if I could touch the high heavens. Talk about amazing. It was. I was reminded once again of how insignificant and small I am in this world. I was able to partake in a wonderful moment in nature, what can I say? It was just simply amazing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment