Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Beginning

I left the Orlando airport on Sunday at 5:30pm and flew into Memphis, TN then quickly hopped on a HUGE plane, 239 people apparently (I'm used to allegiant planes) flew for about 8 hours a few of which I was either sleeping or watching movies (by the way, The Proposal & 17 Again are hilarious!) then we finally landed in Amsterdam, Holland at 2:30 pm the next day. To my surprise everything was in english! I really thought I would have a hard time understanding but obviously everything was fairly simple to understand. Since it was my first flight to Europe by myself, I was, naturally a little nervous so seeing signs and directions in english helped out a lot.

Upon landing in the Geneva airport I was met by a theology major, Benjamin. He smiled and welcomed me in English while I responded back in French( I hear the French like you better, Americans, if you at least try to speak to them in their language). Didier and I being on the same flight were discussing how excited we were while waiting for another student to arrive. Rachelle, my soon-to-be roommate, was standing quietly off to the side. I approached her and introduced myself and soon learned that she was studying in Austria but was wanting to study french and it's history to add to her repertoire in addition to the german she already spoke.

After purchasing my first salad in europe (which I might add was delicious) Scott, from Walla Walla arrived and we proceeded to leave the airport and Geneva, a short 10-15 minute ride to collonges. We quickly passed the Swiss border and into France we entered. I was excited and could hardly believe it...

So far, I have walked around the campus of Collonges and have trekked up and down the wretched, yes wretched mountain of a climb to town four times now and even done a little hiking through the woods, which by the way resembles Narnia and makes me feel like I should be in a movie of some sort. I haven't quite figured out how to make it up Saleve, the mountain that I see every morning through my window, but when I do I'll be sure to record that adventure.

This town is so darling with it's white-haired, tan old men in overalls tending to the corn fields, it's old and modern buildings with their unique cottage-like architecture with colored shutters on most of the houses and lush green fields that seem to stretch out to the horizon. It's peaceful here and the people have been for the most part friendly towards us foreigners. It is only the third day and already I feel as if I truly belong here. The people, the lifestyle, the language...Didier's father was spot on when he mentioned to me a few weeks ago that I would love France. I can't wait to see what else is in store for me on this journey.

Until next time,
Salud!

3 comments:

( j i ) * said...

aww.. i ♥ it!! can you send me one of those modern cottages? thankssss [;

kessia reyne said...

Sounds like a great start! I'm glad it is charming you :)

If you ever run into an Italian professor teaching at the seminary in Collonges--his name is Luca Marulli--please give him my greetings. He is a wonderful man and a friend of mine. He'd be happy to know that you're my friend too!

Harvey K said...

Why am I so captivated by this blog...its like a book. YOUR LIFE IS LIKE A BOOK LULU! Think about it...I'm just sayin'....:)

Post a Comment