Thursday, September 24, 2009

Modern day Christian

Modern day Christian. What does that mean?

I know that today a lot of us young people are more about the relationships we have with people rather than the do's and don'ts of Christianity. Sometimes I feel like I have an idea of what Jesus would want me to do in certain situations but other times... I haven't the slightest idea...

Yesterday was the second day I was at the Gyrog household to help their children, 14 and 11 with their english homework. The kids are great and I'm grateful I have a way of getting a little income while I am here. What I was about to face though, I was not expecting at all. I have gotten so used to my little bubble at SAU and at home, not having to defend what I believe or why I do what I do. This situation took me for a loop.
I was sitting at the bar with Marie Helen helping her write a narrative story in english. Her mother, who was in the process of mowing their very big, green, lush lawn came in to have a chat with me about what my hours would be, and I was telling her when all my vacations were so we could plan accordingly since obviously her kids go to a public school and have different dates for their vacations. She mentioned that she would need me Friday evening to watch the kids and go over their homework for the following week. She said I could just stay and have dinner with them and watch The Office with the kids (it's their favorite American t.v show) I mentioned that it was fine, I would watch the kids but that I'd just bring a book to read. She looked puzzled but mentioned that she would need me Sabbath afternoons/evenings, not always but sometimes because her and her husband rarely get to go out. I proceeded to tell her that I may do evenings but not afternoons. She was definitely confused and finally asked me why.
I was stumped.
I finally managed to explain to her my sabbath (I felt like my parents at that moment) She looked so surprised and asked me if that was an SDA thing. I hesitated. Then said yes, for some. (for some?!) She said that all the other ACA girls never had a problem working for her friday and saturdays in the past and that they were all SDA. What the heck do you say to that?! I told her I came from a conservative background. She nodded and then asked me what I wouldn't eat. (She was making crab for dinner) I told her, you know, all the "unclean meats" ::sigh:: I feel so stupid now looking back on that conversation. I have been struggling with this balance my WHOLE life. How do I live for God and serve others and witness? Do I quit this job?! In the beginning I really felt like God worked it out for me to even find work because it's so difficult for us to find jobs out here. I have no idea what to do.
A part of me feels like I should be different, stand out be a "peculiar" person but I focus too much on the "rules" that I forget about the relationship with the people. Can you tell this isn't a lifestyle thing? Always being around SDAs has made me comfortable so comfortable that I don't even know how to act, what to say anymore to non-christians. So sad. So for now I am feeling quite lost. I really just want to do the right thing. I really love the family, they have been so good to me so far and I get along with the kids just fine.
So what's really the issue here? Watching non-religious t.v on a friday night, and eating "unclean" meats? or should I just be concerned about building a relationship with these people before I get my undergarments all tied up in a knot?

still searching.

any suggestions?

6 comments:

SM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ludine Pierre said...

Thank you so much Sharon. You don't even know how much I appreciate it. It has truly been a struggle and still is. Things just aren't going how I thought they would. I thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me. Thank you soooo much :)

Love you.

kessia reyne said...

Ludine, God is pleased that you are concerned with pleasing Him.

I know that it can be tough to stand up for your faith. It's made even tougher when you feel like the issues seem ridiculuous-- secular TV? Crab? If your job was in danger because you professed faith in Christ, that might seem more... important. But your faith is a faith that affects every area of your life: your body and mind, your time and entertainment, and, yes, your relationships, too.

It could be that other people will look on you as "too conservative" for seeking to "keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus." BUT they could also look on you as an inspiration of what it means to be committed to something.

Courage, Ludine!

Ludine Pierre said...

Thanks Kessia!
That is really great advice, I feel so much better!

Harvey K said...

I guess Sharon got that one then...lol. Not at all an unfamiliar experience.^_^

SM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment