Friday, December 11, 2009

Let's not be stupid again.

Tomorrow my sister and I will be reunited after almost six months of separation. She's the best, the very best and I can't wait to see her.

On a different note, the last three days for me have been much reflection and searching. I just got back from from a school trip to Strasbourg, Colmar, and Alsace (all in France). I visited christmas festivals and medieval villages. I took a boat tour and bought christmas presents for my family. It was all so christmas-y, warm and inviting. Europeans do christmas right in my opinion. That however is not what got me thinking though. Among all of this joyful, and colorful experience I was faced with a lot of sadness. I had the opportunity to visit a concentration camp here in France. Happy Holidays?! yeah, I know but I'm glad we went.

Struthof is the name, and horror is the game. I've read the Corrie Ten Boom book and have had history courses about that fatal event in history but nothing, my imagination or knowledge combined can compare to the rush of emotion I felt as I stood in the very place where thousands lost their lives.

Upon arriving, we were ushered into a room where there was a screen showing horrifying clips and pictures of what went on in the concentration camps during that time. Quotes of the deceased where being read during these clips and we were shown letters of what people were thinking and saying throughout their time at Struthof. Afterward we entered a room that had various pictures blown up on the walls with information about what was going on during that time period particularly in France. And then, I walked outisde to see this:



I walked in to be reminded about this tragedy but years ago innocent people walked in, not knowing that they would cease being treated like humans.
The not-so-funny thing was that behind and all around that gate was the most beautiful view. Mountains looming in the distance and trees and green for miles. It felt good to be in such beautiful nature, but the fact still remained, despite the beauty of it all, there was a darkness hovering.
It was the beginning of my journey and to be honest, I had shivers down my spine. There was something eerie about walking in and leaving someplace where many had walked in and never left. I felt honored and sad. The first building I went in was more information and pictures and some articles of clothing, utensils and various objects that were used to inflict pain on people.
I was not, however prepared for the next building I was about to walk in. There was a sign on the door that said, Silence et Respect. I walked in, barely breathing.

The first thing my eyes laid sight on was a contraption used to cremate bodies. There was a gas chamber right next door and through a little window I could see the "shower" used to kill hundreds of people at one time. I sucked in a breath in the next room. There were still blood stains on the walls. Apparently it was an execution room. There was a drain in the middle of the room so that the victims blood could run down into it immediately after being shot in the neck. My vivid imagination ran wild without my permission. Women crying, bald men walking around like zombies, the life sucked out of them.

There were small rooms where hundreds were crammed in for punishment. They couldn't sit or lie down and they were naked. There was a surgery room- where the doctors ran their painful "experiments". Small chambers about the size of a locker, maybe a little wider where people were kept for three days as punishment before they were executed. Such cruelty. There were brave ones who lost their lives for standing up, for challenging those who tried to oppress them. It made me think.

It made me think a lot. These people lost everything, their dignity, their humanity, everything. It was a wake up call.
It made me remember about the things that really matter. It made me realize once again, that this world is not my home.
It made me realize that as humans we are capable of repeating mistakes. It's not over yet.
It made me realize more then ever that as hard as it may seem sometimes, to live my life fully for Christ is the only way I'll make it. Him first before me, always. The decisions I make now shape my character for later.
It won't always be peachy. About 60,000 people died at this camp.
It could happen, in a different form. I hope not.


"Unless you are faithful in small matters, you won't be faithful in large ones"
Luke 16:10 (NLT)



"Surgery Room"







3 comments:

Justin Jones said...

It is incredible to think that humans are capable of committing such atrocities against other humans, and unfortunately it seems we have not learned from our past failures. By the grace of God, may we be a voice of justice in an unjust world. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

kessia reyne said...

Whoa. That last verse spoke very loudly to me, Ludine. Thanks for a deep, thought-provoking post.

Sahira said...

Amazing.
We will see these atrocities repeated, and I believe that wholeheartedly. May we have the faith of Shadrach, Meschach, and Abdenego who were also thrown to the flames and persevered with their faith.
By your blogs it seems like you're growing by leaps and bounds. Proud of you, Lu =]

Post a Comment