Thursday, January 7, 2010

French Fun Facts- according to yours truly

Well I have been living in France now for about 4 months officially, although it feels like years, and have made some observations on the people I have come into contact with.

WARNING: Some of this information might shock you. Or not.

*Parisians hate Americans (well, just the Bush administration really)
I had a guy tell me that he's always wanted to visit the states but because Bush was in office, he wouldn't allow himself to step on American soil. Now that we are under a new president, he said he will be planning a trip soon.

In my frequent trips to Paris, I noticed that Parisians (not all) are just in general, aggressive with everyone, even amongst themselves. To my surprise however, most of the Parisians I came into contact with where nice and helpful.

*French people are known not to shower frequently
This is true. Even a native French woman told me.
I have experienced intense body odor. EVERYWHERE.
People often wear the same outfit 3 or 4 days in a row (pit stains and all). I'm all for conserving water but c'mon wet wipes aren't just for babies.

*French women DO shave their armpits and legs
Although in the wintertime, it doesn't happen as much but who am I kidding? I usually partake in the same non-shaving rituals during the colder months as well. Makes sense.

*EVERYONE in France, particularly in Paris, smokes!
That's what it felt like anyway. Billows of smoke met and followed me everywhere I went.
Young, old...infants...ok, maybe I'm kidding about the infants but they might as well be, since their parents were sucking the deadliness in for them.

* The French think their language is the prettiest, and hate when you slaughter it
This is very true.
In September my friend and I were shopping at Zara. While we were in the dressing room, she needed to exchange a dress for another size. She gingerly stuck her head out of her stall and asked on of the workers in very bad french if she could get some help. With her nose stuck in the air, the lady said coldly " Aye speak ze english." At that point, I stuck my head out of my stall and gave my friend a sympathetic look.


*French people don't like to work.
Also not a falsehood.
Two days ago some handy men where in my room because apparently my shower was leaking to the first floor somehow. The dean informed me that two men would be arriving to break some tile and try to figure out where this leak was coming from. The appointment was made for wednesday at 1pm.
They arrived today.

Also, they love them some vacations. Every month or so, I have had a vacation for a decent amount of time. I'm not complaining though, more traveling for me!

* They love cheese.
Well they should. They have over 200 different kinds. We have at least three different cheeses for lunch everyday.

*French Fashion
Everyone always says that Paris is one of the fashion capitals of the world. Most people just wear black though. I don't know how much of that is fashion or just conformity, or maybe there's no difference. Anywho, most Parisians are really well dressed, they just look like they're going to funerals at high noon.

*Obsession with English and American music
I have found that time and again I meet people here who know all the popular American songs. My favorite, was when I was in a pub in Paris with some friends and a song came on that apparently is really popular in the States. A chorus of voices in that pub started sang the lyrics perfectly. At the end of the song, the guy next to me asked me what the words meant. Nice.

*PDA accepted
I have never seen so much PDA in my life ( not even in front of Thatcher Hall)
I was in the metro, minding my own business when I hear slurping, yes slurping noises near me. Through the reflection of the window in front of me, I witnessed as a couple thoroughly enjoyed each other's salivary glands. No joke.
Some people clearly don't find it a problem to reproduce in public.

Although it seems like I am bashing this culture I'm really not- these are facts that I have discovered and obviously doesn't involve everyone...just most from what I've seen... I've grown to have an appreciation for the French culture and the people; their passion..and well, their passion.
Well, that's all for now folks. Maybe as the year keeps going I will discover more mind boggling stuff. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

6 comments:

Turkey said...

I think PDA in Europe is a different story all together. There were some pretty intense PDA moments in Prage.
I'm pretty sure I saw a couple reproducing on the metro, no joke. It was ridiculous. The Czechs were even looking around nervously, like these people crossed a line I didn't even know existed...

TaraB said...

Sometimes I wish that I could wear the same outfit for days on end...but maybe wash it at night. Sarah and I actually talked about it once, we were going to do it here at Southern and try to not be self conscious about it. We never did it. I kind of wish we had.

kessia reyne said...

Ha! I love this. I once spent three days in Paris-- quite a short trip. I didn't have time to learn much about cheeses and vacations, but I was surprised to find out that there were a few people who politely responded when the guy I was with (mortifyingly) yelled out more than once: "Does anybody here speak English?!" Then those polite people came over and helped us, despite the flagrant Americanism.

AND I once had a French teacher (not teaching me French, but you know) and he really did wear the same shirt/tie/sweater/suit for multiple days in a row.

You speak true words, Ludine. True words.

Ludine Pierre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben Schnell said...

I didn't know most of this, so it was a very interesting read. Thanks for filling me in on the culture.

laSonya said...

I love it! The smoking is true for most of europe I think. As is the showering thing. . .

Post a Comment