Monday, October 26, 2009

Everything Is.

Another great night in Paris.

I just left the home of Jim Haynes, who for thirty or so years has been hosting parties at his home. He lives in Paris but is American and has written many books and leaflets concerning all types of topics; politics, love/sex, life, just to name a few. Great guy.

Let's rewind a few weeks back when Austin McAllister, my roomate, asked me if I wanted to go to a gathering with her. She read out loud to me the information she found on yahoo answers about Mr. Haynes and I said why not. Fastforward.
Upon arriving to Mr. Haynes house I realized that at the moment, we were the only considerably young ones there. I was afraid this would turn into a "old people trying to be young again, drunk party". So wrong.

I had the priviledge to meet all types of people from different walks of life, education, background etc. There were few young people and many well-seasoned individuals which frankly didn't bother me in the end because I realized that I could obtain nuggets of wisdom, be in the company of really interesting people, do some networking AND hear some really great stories.

For instance:
I met a group of women who met in Saudi Arabia in the eighties (most from the states and one from england) and for the last 25 years have been meeting up to travel! All from different walks of life, states, countries but they've formed a bond and plan trips together.

then, I met a German girl who is currently a representative in Paris for German Vogue. Her and her muslim friend, Austin and I had a lovely conversation about pirates, Berlin, Muslims and Christianity. We even shared a metro ride with them and they offered to host us if we ever made it to London or Berlin. Très cool.

I got a chance to glean some knowledge from a really cool lady, a writer from New York who's book has been translated into 17 languages already! I also got to do a little chatting with a Psychology/Social Work professor who lit the fire underneath me all over again. I felt like I had passion again. It was great.

Of course, I chatted a bit with Jim Haynes himself, who is a delightful gentleman- and I bought his book "Everything Is". All in all it was quite an adventure and an eventful evening.

Hooray for Jim Haynes!

3 comments:

kessia reyne said...

If I'm not mistaken, I heard a radio story about Jim Haynes on NPR: a real celebrity! This sounds like an awesome dinner party. I'm honestly a little jealous.

Sahira said...

Well well!
Making high society in Europe? I am super excited for you! Sounds like good contacts to have :)
I'm happy it's all being an amazing experience for you. Stay strong darling!

Ben Schnell said...

Wow, thats so exciting! It so great to meet really adventurous interesting people. Thanks for letting me meet them through this story

Post a Comment